Bustling winds, rainy days, and stormy nights are now solidly upon us with few hints left of warmer times left. Do not despair, with the shift of seasons comes a chance for change for both you and your home.
Take the right steps for you and your family to be happy and well.
- Spring-cleaning is an old adage but don’t wait till next year.
- Now is the time to vacuum, dust and sweep up dust bunnies and cobwebs.
- Thoroughly check for moisture spots and moulds—certain strains, like black mould, can be deadly.
- Consider purchasing an air filter for improved quality.
- A lack of sunshine and light during the winter can cause SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Proper lighting and vitamin D supplements can help mitigate the symptoms, however.
- Sunlight lamps produce a glow similar to the sun and, in addition to helping with the winter blues, can feel more calm and natural that harsh light.
- Consider switching to LED lights to lower electricity costs.
- Tri-coloured bulb – with each flick of a switch, the bulb casts a different tone and it’s a great way to control the lighting without buying multiple lamps.
- Air fresheners, though pleasant smelling, often contain harmful chemicals that can cause lung disease and aggravate allergies. Switch to natural, biological fresheners.
- If you don’t recognize the long list of ingredients on your cleaning products, consider switching to something more natural. Eco-friendly choices are good for you, your home and the environment.
- What’s in your laundry detergent and soap? Some chemicals can dry skin and damage clothes. Biological keeps you just as clean without the harshness.
- Even more important than health consciousness, basic safety measures can be life-saving. Do not skimp or skip on this front.
- Check that your fire alarm works and you have a fire extinguisher close at hand and easy to locate in an emergency.
- Make sure there are carbon monoxide detectors working and placed around your home, especially in bedrooms.
- Have an earthquake preparedness kit at hand and an evacuation plan ready – know with certainty where you will seek shelter if the earth starts shaking.